The addition of chlorine in drinking water has been the standard in water treatment in the United States since 1904.
Thus, for over 100 years we have trusted and relied on chlorine to purify our water and kill off any waterborne pathogens.
The good news is that chlorine has done a good job in killing off most microorganisms in the water.
In fact, the United States has one of the safest water supplies in the world, and I am truly grateful for this.
Without chlorine (or some other form of water disinfection treatment), millions of people would die from devastating infections such as cholera, salmonella, and others.
The bad news is that chlorine treatment does not absolutely ensure that by the time our drinking water comes out of our home faucet it is free of unhealthy microorganisms.
Dangerous bacteria (such as e-coli and coliform) are still found in chlorinated tap water on occasion. When this happens it is primarily due to problems related to the treatment system itself or to the transport of the water to our homes.
Thus, relying on chlorine disinfection alone is a false guarantee that the water from your tap is safe to drink.
Even minimal exposure to these types of bacteria can cause symptoms similar to the flu, such as headaches, diarrhea, cramps, nausea or vomiting.
Thus, I highly recommend a tap water filter at the point-of-use (your water faucet) to ensure adequate filtration of unhealthy micro-organisms, as well as other many other contaminants, that could end up in your drinking water.
The ugly side of drinking chlorinated water has only recently been documented.
And it has to do with the long-term health effects of chlorine and its disinfection by-products (DBPs).
What the studies have found is that chlorine itself is not the main problem; rather it has to do with what happens when the chlorine mixes with any type of organic matter in the water.
In the 1970s scientists discovered that when chlorine is added to water, it forms Trihalomethanes (THMs), one of which is chloroform. THMs increase the production of free radicals in the body and are highly carcinogenic (cancer causing).
Chlorine and THMS have been linked to various types of cancer, kidney and liver damage, immune system dysfunction, disorders of the nervous system, hardening of the arteries, and birth defects.
Unfortunately, we are learning the hard way that our attempts to prevent illness by adding chlorine in drinking water has contributed to another problem—the increase of cancer and heart disease. Check out what the experts have to say:
“Cancer risk among people using chlorinated water is as much as 93 percent higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine,” according to the U.S. Council of Environmental Quality.
According to the BreastCancerFund.org,“One common factor among women with breast cancer is that they all have 50 to 60 percent higher levels of these chlorination by-products (THMs) in their fat tissue than women without breast cancer . . .”
"Long-term drinking of chlorinated water appears to increase a person's risk of developing bladder cancer as much as 80 percent,”as documented in a study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Some 45,000 Americans are diagnosed every year with bladder cancer.
"The drinking of chlorinated water has finally been officially linked to an increased incidence of colon cancer. An epidemiologist at Oak Ridge Associated Universities completed a study of colon cancer victims and non-cancer patients and concluded that the drinking of chlorinated water for 15 years or more was conducive to a high rate of colon cancer," according to Health Freedom News, January/February 1987.
What most people don’t realize is that chlorine in drinking water is not the only problem. According to the Journal of Public Health, “Up to two-thirds of the harmful effects of chlorine are due to inhalation and skin absorption while showering.”
Even though I had filtered my drinking water for chlorine and other contaminants for many years, it took me a while longer to realize how much chlorine I was being exposed to in an unfiltered shower. We just don’t think about it.
The inhalation of chlorine and other chemical vapors into our lungs means that these chemicals enter directly into our bloodstream.
In addition, since the shower is warm or hot, our pores are wide open and our skin readily absorbs the chemicals.
And then there is the cosmetic effect of chlorine – it strips the protective oils from the skin and hair, causing excess drying and wrinkling of skin as well as dry and brittle hair.
Thus, removing chlorine and other volatile chemicals with a quality shower filter is just as important as removing these chemicals from your drinking water with a tap water filter.
The primary reason adding chlorine to water for disinfection has become so widely accepted is not because it is the safest or most effective way to disinfect water — it is the cheapest.
Is there a better way? A handful of cities such as Las Vegas, Nevada, and Santa Clara, California, have begun treating their water through a process called ozonation. It is more expensive for the city, but the side effects are minimal.
Ozonation is a step in the right direction for these large cities and I would like to see other cities follow their example or find other non-toxic disinfection solutions.
For those of us who don’t live in these cities, there are a few options. The most powerful and cost-effective way to get chlorine-free water is to invest in a whole house water filter or to purchase a drinking and shower combo pack for your home.
Do you know what happens when you put chlorine into a fish bowl?
All the fish die. That is why fish tanks come with a de-chlorinator.
So then why are we drinking and showering in this chemical that kills another organism in a matter of hours?
Further reading . . .
If you would like to reproduce or republish this article or any other article on this site, feel free to do so but please include a reference or link to the article at WaterBenefitsHealth.com.
Get a FREE eBook: