Would lemon water help vaginal yeast infections?
by glenice kellett
Question: I am a diabetic controlled by diet, medication not yet needed but I have thrush constantly. Would the lemon drink help?
Our short answer is that drinking lemon water may help to prevent vaginal yeast infections (vaginal thrush) but it would not be considered an effective treatment for an existing infection.
Prevention and treatment of thrush--especially for people with diabetes or any other condition in which the immune system is challenged--often requires a holistic treatment to improve your body’s natural immunity and includes a healthy diet, stress management, moderate exercise, and a gentle body cleansing routine.
For the sake of our site visitors, we will briefly explain what thrush is and how lemon water might help.
As with most natural remedies, what works for one person will not necessarily work for everyone. Thus, be patient and try different things until you find what works for you!What Is Thrush?
Vaginal thrush is a condition that is usually caused by an overgrowth of a fungus called Candida albicans. It is also known as candidiasis or just candida.
The common symptoms of vaginal thrush are discharge and vaginal itching or irritation.
Women in their twenties, thirties, and forties tend to be most vulnerable, along with pregnant women. However, most women have at least one outbreak of thrush at some point in their lives.
Anyone with a compromised immune system or over acidity in the body is at more risk for getting thrush. This includes most people with diabetes, heart disease, autoimmune disorders, cancer, and many other medical conditions.What Causes Thrush?
We all have a certain amount of candida in our bodies all of the time, which reside primarily in the mouth, intestines, and vagina as well as on the skin. Under normal conditions, these organisms are kept under control by our immune system and the good bacteria in our bodies.
The actual cause of thrush is unknown, but we do know the risk of infection arises when conditions in our body change, especially when the body becomes overly acidic, and the yeast grows rapidly creating the symptoms of thrush.
Thrush occurs frequently after a treatment of antibiotics, since this medication kills both the bad bacteria and the good bacteria, which would normally keep the candida under control.
Many women also experience thrush prior
to menstruation when the pH in the vagina changes. This is exacerbated after a heavy night of drinking or eating a lot of sugary foods.
A few of the most typical causes of over-acidity in the body include:
Prevention of Vaginal Thrush
- Over-consumption of meat and dairy products, sugar, starchy carbohydrates, and processed foods
- High stress levels
- Alcohol, drugs (including medications) and tobacco
- Impaired digestion and elimination
- Toxin accumulation
- Eat primarily whole, fresh foods, including fruits, vegetables, nuts and nut butters, and sprouted grains.
- Reduce the amount of acid-producing foods in your diet, including animal protein, dairy, alcohol, sugar, processed foods.
- Stay hydrated! Drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Chronic dehydration is one of the primary underlying causes of an over acidic condition in the body.
- Practice stress management, with simple deep breathing exercises, short naps or meditation breaks. Focus on what you are grateful for and withdraw your attention on potential problems that you have no control over
- Drinking lemon water on a regular basis is one of the many ways you can help maintain the proper pH balance of the body and to aid in digestion and the elimination of toxins through the normal pathways of detoxification.
- Drinking alkaline, ionized water on a regular basis is one of the most effective ways to maintain a slightly alkaline pH of body fluids.
- Some of the alkaline water boosting products on the market are also helpful, when taken as needed (after a day or two of poor diet, drinking, or high stress).
In my experience and feedback from clients, the most effective natural remedy for treatment of thrush is taking a live-culture probiotic that has specific strains for fighting vaginal yeast infections. You can find one of my recommended products online
or at most health food stores.
To help alleviate the vaginal discomfort, a douche made with a solution of 6 to 8 ounces of water with 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar may be helpful to help alkalize the vaginal pH. You can also add 1 to 2 drops of 100% tea tree oil (a natural antifungal) to the douche.Further reading . . .GlobalHealingCenter.com: 10 Natural Remedies for Yeast InfectionsRead more about Lemon Water and DiabetesReturn from Lemon Water and Vaginal Yeast Infections to Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water